Profile image for StaineSiobhan

Anyone seen any gritting lorries?
So, when the first snow was forecast a couple of weeks ago (but then didn't arrive) the gritter lorries were out in force and I was impressed with the coverage. But we had our first heavy snowfall on Friday / Saturday - which was forecast - and I'm left wondering where are the gritters?
The main routes do seem fairly clear as of this afternoon but I see scant evidence that this is due to gritting. Am I wrong? Have you seen them out gritting the roads around Staines?

By StaineSiobhan at 16:09 on 20/12/10

Re-post           

• Profile image for MIKENEWS

There does seem to have been a marginal improvement in the management of the snow this time around. However, that does have to be said in the context of that this must be the fifth flurry we’ve had in the last three winters. Locally, the councils seem to have done quite well but I think the attention needs to turn to the government in terms of the fiasco that became Heathrow airport and also the Highways Agency for the motorways in the local area such as the M25 which became a car park.

By MIKENEWS at 14:57 on 29/12/10

• Profile image for MelBattams

My husband's family live in Staines and they told me they have not seen a single gritting lorry. My husband went shopping in Staines just before Christmas and said the town was like an ice rink - there had been no gritting or salting on pavements around the shops. I don't think Spelthorne Council managed to grit at all. However across the river in Egham I saw gritting lorries out and about during the bad weather.

I agree that something needs to be done about sustaining the major transport routes, such as the M25 and the airports. People still need to get about and this must be addressed. I did hear that South West Trains did a pretty good job though.

By MelBattams at 15:04 on 29/12/10

Join the Discussion

max 4000 characters

Search for...

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min rent is bigger than Max rent