Ashford & Staines Community Centre to become a mosque
By StaineSiobhan | Saturday, June 09, 2012, 16:53
It's hoped that the Ashford & Staines Community Centre which is based on Short Lane, off the eastbound carriageway of the A30 London Road, will be turned into a mosque.
A local group of Muslim business men recently bought the site at auction and are now in the process of raising funds to pay for the building and to convert it into a mosque.
Spelthorne Muslims have been using temporary facilities to meet and pray for many years, but they hope to finally have a permanent home in the Community Centre.
A website for the group which is raising funds for the Mosque, or Masjid, says "On Wednesday 9th May, a small group of Muslim professionals living in Ashford were able to secure at auction, the purchase of a Church building, for the purpose of establishing a Masjid, Alhamdu'Lillah. The growing Muslim community in Ashford, Staines, Egham and Stanwell have been praying in temporary facilities and after 30 years Allah has answered their prayers for a Masjid. Our beloved Prophet said: 'Whosoever helps build a Masjid for the pleasure of Allah whether it be small or large, Allah builds for them a house in Paradise'"
They list their aims for the facility, and the services it will provide as:
• To provide the local Muslim community a focal point for all their religious, social, cultural, economic and educational activities.
• To advance knowledge and the true understanding of Islam.
• To establish a harmonious and active Muslim community.
• Islamic classes for the young and old
• Social activities for the elderly
• Counselling services (marriage, emotional, bereavement)
• Islamic Youth Programmes
• Self Defence classes for children and adults and more
Those wishing to donate to the project can do so by visiting the Ashford & Staines Community Centre website. It's thought that although the group have raised £150,000 towards the project, they need another £300,000 to complete the sale.
The site also provides details of upcoming community events.